Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings as project policy
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 18:01:11 -0500

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 08:05:31PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> hendrik> Can we uncompress compressed files so as top better
> hendrik> diff/merge the contents and recompress on checkout?  This
> hendrik> might be very helpful for openoffice files.
>
> Uhmmmmmm, I seriously thing this is way out of monotone's scope.

This week, anyway ...

But it is a real problem.

Last time I looked at a OpenOffice file, it was a compressed zip archive
containing several files
        the actual text coded as XML
        the style sheet for presenting said XML
        a few other things, maybe the DTD, I forget.
But we won't be able to properly merge these files unless we do
unarchive and rearchive them.

I suspect with the absurd bulkiness of XML notation, this won't be the
last case we encounter where compression interferes with merging.

-- hendrik