Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:00:41 -0500

On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 10:13:08AM +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     hendrik> In monotone, I suggest that a file that has been
>     hendrik> character-converted on checkout have its line-end codingw
>     hendrik> reverted on checkin, on a line-by-line basis.  Thus only
>     hendrik> when the user explicitly edits line ends will the
>     hendrik> end-of-line coding be changed in the repository.  This
>     hendrik> would have the effect that if massive damage is done to a
>     hendrik> true binary file if it is mistakenly line-end-converted,
>     hendrik> the damage would be mostly undone on subsequent checkin.
>
>     hendrik> It is probably not the most convenient load to dump on
>     hendrik> the diff engine, though I can imagine algorithms.
>
> The big problem I see with this is if a user tries to merge two
> changed versions of a file, which have different end-of-line codes.
>
> Or maybe one user fixes the line ending attribute for a file and
> another user updates the file to use another line ending. What happens
> when one the users tries to merge the results?

Some chaotic set of line endings.  But if conversion to a local
convention is done at checkout, it's probably not fatal.  Just a lt of
unnecessary differences.

> This could get complicated, and might even end up in the very
> corruption problem you are trying to avoid anyway (e.g. if the file
> being merged is binary but marked as ascii in one/more of the
> revisions).

Well. I wasn't actually *intending* bunary files to be
line-end-converted.  Just pointing out that such a mistake might not
necessarily be instantly fatal.

-- hendrik