Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: newbie: Life after cvs-import
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 13:26:44 +1100

    Bruce> Anyway, I'm with your coworker: make a switch, keeping the
    Bruce> CVS repository for history, and switch to something else
    Bruce> for the future, importing whatever of the history seems
    Bruce> practical and useful.  Apart from anything else, that
    Bruce> should give you more options: you can rearrange the way you
    Bruce> store things, you don't need to pick subversion (because
    Bruce> subversion is the only thing capable of importing CVS well
    Bruce> enough), etc.

I tend to agree. Unless:

* You have to continue using CVS for some reason.

* You expect to frequently need access to old versions and don't want
to have to resort to using CVS for such cases.

* Any other reason?

The second point might be significant if, for example, there is a
stable branch of the product in CVS and you don't want to keep using
CVS to maintain the stable branch.

In general, I suspect in most cases it is OK not to worry about
preserving the entire history.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>