Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Two seperate setups caused problems?

From: Daniel Lakeland
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Two seperate setups caused problems?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:44:19 -0800

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 06:34:04PM -0600, Timothy Brownawell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 15:06 -0800, Daniel Lakeland wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 02:52:54PM -0800,  wrote:
> > >
> > > Apparently I'm in a situation where monotone can't merge two branches:
> > > (on windows...)

> > > now my revision history is in parallel with his, starting from NOWHERE
> > > ie. there are essentially 2 roots. I can not figure out how to get
> > > monotone to merge these branches.
>
> Yeah, the only way to merge them would be with merge_into_dir, but that
> wants them to be in separate branches.
>
> > what I did: I used "mtn db kill_rev_locally" on both machines to
> > remove the useless revision, but it seems like this is a potentially
> > obnoxious bug that could bite people just getting started with
> > monotone. What is the right way to handle it?
>
> The "right way" is to make sure that your branch names are all unique.

Here's an alternative way of thinking about the problem.

Suppose that you have an "attacker" who you mistakenly believe to be
trustworthy. This person creates their own separate unrooted branch
with the same name as yours, and syncs with you, in the mean time the
rest of your group all syncs with you as well. The next morning you
discover that everyone has this "useless" branch that they can't
figure out how to delete. From now on unless they are able to delete
it all simultaneously, they will have to deal with this merge problem.

I think a clobber merge, where all changes on one branch are rejected
and the branches are merged together is a great idea. The UI is a
little tricky, you want to be able to specify which one clobbers the
other fairly carefully :-)

--
Daniel Lakeland
address@hidden