Re: [Monotone-devel] auomate inventory questions from irc

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] auomate inventory questions from irc
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 21:39:40 -0800

On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 08:45:06PM -0700, Derek Scherger wrote:
> Because "" is a special case. Monotone calls the workspace root "" but
> the filesystem has no idea what "" is. Inventory just doesn't account
> for this special case yet.

Hmm, in an ideal world we'd probably have some generic workspace
access code that encapsulated this knowledge in one place, though.

> I've bumped into this root dir name thing quite a few times and
> personally, I wonder if it would be better to have it called "." and
> have *all* of the internal stored paths include it in their names. I.e.
> rather than "foo/bar" which includes an implicit "" + "/" on the front I
> wonder whether versioned paths should be "./foo/bar" so that you can see
> the root dir in them. This would probably fix some problems and cause
> others though, so who knows...

I see your point, but this is just not on the table.  Well, unless
someone wants to make the argument that not only would "./foo" style
names be better than "foo" style names, but that the improvement would
be so dramatic and valuable that it is worth putting all of our users
through a 0.26-magnitude big bang migration to get there.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music