[Monotone-devel] auomate inventory questions from irc

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: [Monotone-devel] auomate inventory questions from irc
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:45:06 -0700

Sun Nov 19 15:33 < tommyd> dscherger: hrm, I can't test automate inventory, probably because my db scheme is too new - is it wise not to update this branch for too long? At least in some CVS projects I've encountered the problem that the longer a branch is not in sync with the main branch, the harder it is to bring it back alive

You db schema is probably too *old*. The propagate you did last week required the heights stuff (I assume). This is exactly why I didn't add the restrictions patch yesterday -- I needed to upgrade my database to match what inventory wants. That's now done and I'm about to get to work on adding restrictions to the branch.

It's probably not wise to let a branch rot like this one has but I just haven't been doing anything with it for a while. Surprisingly, getting things back into a working state wasn't all that hard... xxdiff works really well sometimes!

Sun Nov 19 15:38 < tommyd> dscherger: and why does the new inventory say status "missing" for the root workspace node ""? Is this a bug?

Because "" is a special case. Monotone calls the workspace root "" but the filesystem has no idea what "" is. Inventory just doesn't account for this special case yet.

I've bumped into this root dir name thing quite a few times and personally, I wonder if it would be better to have it called "." and have *all* of the internal stored paths include it in their names. I.e. rather than "foo/bar" which includes an implicit "" + "/" on the front I wonder whether versioned paths should be "./foo/bar" so that you can see the root dir in them. This would probably fix some problems and cause others though, so who knows...

Cheers,
Derek