[Monotone-devel] forked revisions question

From: Brian May
Subject: [Monotone-devel] forked revisions question
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:05:00 +1100

Question:

If I have a revision A and commit version B:

A - B

and then decide I don't like B anymore, I might create a fork revision C:

A - B
 \

at which stage I have two heads, so I would have to (in the current
UI) merge them and undo A -> B, committing D and E (hope my ASCII art
is readable):

A - B
 \   \
  C - D - E.

After some time I end up making more changes:

A - B
 \   \
  C - D - E - F - G - H

Now lets say I really liked B after all, but not quite the way it
is. So I commit I to B:

A - B - I
 \   \
  C - D - E - F - G - H

If I want to automatically merge changes A->B and B->I into H - is
this possible? What command would I use?

Or is monotone likely to look at the above graph and assume A->B has
already been merged (without realizing that E is an undo operation)
and limit the operation to merging B->I instead?

Would a better UI for merge help?

Just something thats been bothering me for a while now, would be
curious to know if this is a real issue or just something I invented.

Ideally, I guess, B should have been committed to a separate branch,
but lets assume at the time it didn't appear to be a controversial
change - once it is assigned the branch name of the base revision it
isn't possible to undo it...
--
Brian May <address@hidden>