Re: [Monotone-devel] patch serieses

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] patch serieses
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:39:17 -0800

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 03:06:45PM +1100, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> I was a little confused looking at njs's A, B, C diagram, especially
> when it came to the reordering.  I didn't like that A polluted B, etc,
> especially when that had to be undone.  My personal preference would
> be to develop A, B, C independently, and establish the ordering and
> dependencies between them via propagates to integration branches:
[...]
> The other use model (linux kernel) seems to me to be mostly an
> artifact of historical practice driven by deficiencies and mismatches
> in different VCS sytems, rather than an explicit preference to
> maintain things as patches in their primary form.  For review and
> approval they can be generated as above.

No, I think you misunderstand (what I perceive to be) the primary use
case for quilt-style tools.  To do what you want to do, monotone's
existing branch support seems pretty sufficient (at least to me, tell
us if I'm wrong :-)). But quilt is designed primarily to support a
workflow where the output of your hacking is not a patch implementing
some feature, but a whole _series_ of patches that together implement
your one feature.  Why do such a silly thing?  Because it makes things
easier to review -- you can split up your big change into a bunch of
smaller changes each of which can be reviewed in turn.

In this case, there almost always _are_ dependencies between the
changes, and in fact that's much of the point, because each patch
makes the next one possible.  Not always -- if you wanted to be really
fancy, you could make some arbitrary DAGs of patches -- but since the
primary purpose is reviewing (and perhaps for later hackers trying to
work out what happened historically), you might as well just make it a
sequence, that's the easiest thing to read and understand.

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco