Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tagging a revision?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:26:51 +0100

On Thursday 02 November 2006 19:09, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> Markus Meyer <address@hidden>  wrote:
> > sorry if this is obvious but I couldn't find it in the docs (maybe
> > I'm looking in the wrong places?). In CVS I have the ability to tag
> > a repository, that is I can say "this revision's name is
> > RELEASE_1_60". I can then subsequently use this revision name on
> > checkouts, for example.  Is this possible in Monotone, too (without
> > creating a branch)?
>
> Yep, it's called "mtn tag". ;-)  Note, you can't float a monotone tag
> from one revision to another.  You COULD tag multiple revisions with
> the same name, but that would just be weird.  A tag is simply a
> specially named cert on a revision.

Wouldn't it be possible to make the TAGS mergable in the future, or is this a
bad idea?

If you had a file internally for each TAG with the revisions on each line that
it currently map to. Of course maybe there would be a problem with how TAGS
got synced when you do a pull/sync.. But maybe that could be solved.

/Johan