Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone on a static web site

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone on a static web site
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:05:25 -0700

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 07:36:33AM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 01:25:49 -0700
> Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:59:31AM -0400, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> > > Once I'm satisfied with attr scan
> >
> > How is attr scan going, btw?
>
> It works for me; now it needs testing (including test cases),
> documentation, and integration into mainline.

Cool.

> > It isn't too complicated, though, and the python-ness isn't important;
> > the important part is the disk format.  Ideally we'll even move it
>
> Is there already a disk format defined, or is does that need to be
> hashed out first? (I haven't looked at the code yet).

The basic disk format is hashed out (and good thing too, it's a
surprisingly tricky problem).  It still needs some work, though.  The
first thing I remember is that locking needs some review.  I
originally started out making locking a per-transport thing, then
realized that this was totally stupid, since the same directory might
be accessed simultaneously over multiple transports... but IIRC this
never got fully straightened out.  The other thing I remember is that
we might need to do some tweaking of how it builds the merkle trie;
that the current settings use too much bandwidth in some common cases.

Of course, there're plenty of other things to do to make it really
slick, fast, and reliable, but the disk format is the basic
foundation, and those are the two problems I remember with it.

So let us espouse a less contested notion of truth and falsehood, even
if it is philosophically debatable (if we listen to philosophers, we
must debate everything, and there would be no end to the discussion).
  -- Serendipities, Umberto Eco