[Monotone-devel] redhat binary packages

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: [Monotone-devel] redhat binary packages
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:25:33 +1000

Preamble: I have very little idea what I'm talking about here, and
don't really want to know.  I staunchly avoid prebuilt packages and
systems that depend on them, in large part to avoid having to know
about these details. :-)

There are some linux machines I use monotone on, but don't pay any
attention to administering.  They're running something called CentOS
and vserver, which is apparently just like something else which is
just like redhat except it isn't.  Anyway, it evidently makes for some
particular dependencies when trying to use prebuilt binary packages.
The boxes have a package system caled 'yum' on them, but it doesn't
know about monotone.

After some discussion of workarounds involving funny words like
'rhel3' and 'fc5' and 'fedora' and the kinds of details I prefer to
avoid, we came to the crux of how to solve the issue more generally,
by teaching 'yum' about monotone so it Just Works:

   Basically, we use/mirror all our 'extras' packages from
   http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/ - he has over 2700 projects
   packaged for multiple redhat releases, so, generally, if I can't
   find it in there, it's probably not worth having... :-) The best
   way to extend platform support would be to send the monotone srpm
   to Dag and ask him to add it to his compile farm.

So if this was to happen, I could continue to maintain my blissful
ignorance *and* we could enhance the ready availability of monotone to
whoever else also uses this package collection.

Could someone who's familiar with "the monotone srpm" please oblige?
Thanks!

--
Dan.