Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance improvement splitout

From: Eric Anderson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Performance improvement splitout
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:08:58 -0700

Nathaniel Smith writes:
 > I also notice, on re-reading, that we are repeatedly calling select
 > with nothing in the read or write fds, and with a "zero" timeout.  Why
 > the heck would we be doing that?  It's basically a noop by
 > definition...

It's a probe to see whether any "Error" data has arrived, which near
as I can tell included data sent over TCP with urgency.  When I went
searching for something that used it, I recall finding that the usher
code seemed to use this as a "something bad happened, go die now."
It's been a long time since I looked at this though.
        -Eric