[Monotone-devel] Re: cvs import

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs import
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:21:16 +1200

On 9/14/06, Michael Haggerty <address@hidden> wrote:
2. Long-term continuous mirroring (backwards and forwards) between CVS
and another SCM, to allow people to use their preferred tool.  (I
actually think that this is a silly idea, but some people seem to like it.)

Call me silly ;-) I use this all the time to track projects that use
CVS or SVN, where I either

- Do have write access, but often develop offline (and I have a bunch
of perl/shell scripts to extract the patches and auto-commit them into
CVS/SVN).

- Do have write access, but want to experimental work branches
without making much noise in the cvs repo -- and being able to merge
CVS's HEAD in repeatedly as you'd want.

- Run "vendor-branch-tracking" setups for projects where I have a
custom branch of a FOSS sofware project, and repeatedly import updates
from upstream. this is the 'killer-app' of DSCMs IMHO.

It is not as robust as I'd like; with CVS, the git imports eventually
stray a bit from upstream, and requires manual fixing. But it is
_good_.

cheers,

martin