Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import

From: Shawn Pearce
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] cvs import
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:30:17 -0400

Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 08:57:33PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Mozilla is 120,000 files. The complexity comes from 10 years worth of
> > history. A few of the files have around 1,700 revisions. There are
> > about 1,600 branches and 1,000 tags. The branch number is inflated
> > because cvs2svn is generating extra branches, the real number is
> > around 700. The CVS repo takes 4.2GB disk space. cvs2svn turns this
> > into 250,000 commits over about 1M unique revisions.
>
> Those numbers are pretty close to those in the NetBSD repository, and
> between them these probably represent just about the most extensive
> public CVS test data available.

I don't know exactly how big it is but the Gentoo CVS repository
is also considered to be very large (about the size of the Mozilla
repository) and just as difficult to import.  Its either crashed or
taken about a month to process with the current Git CVS->Git tools.

Since I know that the bulk of the Gentoo CVS repository is the
portage tree I did a quick find|wc -l in my /usr/portage; its about
124,500 files.

Its interesting that Gentoo has almost as large of a repository given
that its such a young project, compared to NetBSD and Mozilla.  :-)

--
Shawn.