Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Policy branch example scenarios

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Policy branch example scenarios
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:06:21 -0700

On 9/11/06, Bruce Stephens <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Here's a very simple scenario where this could be a problem: Alice
>  (an administrator) resigns from a project, and does so not by
>  asking some other administrator to revoke her access, but by doing
>  so herself; so you have a policy revision that denies Alice
>  authority, *signed by Alice* -- so it doesn't trust itself.
>  Clearly such a policy is invalid,

I'm with Richard on this one.  It's not at all clear that the policy
is invalid.  If you decide you want to make it valid, then it's easy
enough to do: you just have such denials apply for all subsequent
policies.  Then everything's OK, isn't it?

Well, right, you perfectly well can set it up so that this isn't a
problem.  It's just that you can equally set it up so that it is, and
so, I wanted to call attention to the scenario so that it is avoided.

zw