[Monotone-devel] mtn lua execute

From: Andy Jones
Subject: [Monotone-devel] mtn lua execute
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:29:39 +0100

Here's a wild idea for the wishlist.  One that shouldn't take much
work to implement.

We already have "mtn db execute" to run an unspecified SQL query.  How
about a similar command to run an unspecified lua function from
monotonerc?  Maybe "mtn db luaexec <function> [...]"?

The main use I can see for this is release control, where you want to
automate certain behaviours specific to the local disk or network, but
to tie it into the version control hooks within Monotone.  But I would
have thought that the uses of such a function would be innumerate.

Yes, I know you can use mtn automate and the shell to do a great deal.
But Lua is +much+ more powerful than Bash.  And I can't be the only
person who uses Monotone under Windows...

Andy.

[Just a wild idea.  And yes, my Lua is much stronger than my C!]