[Monotone-devel] Automation Status & Improvements

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Automation Status & Improvements
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:11:15 +0200

Hey all!

This goes especially to all the guys (tbrownaw, dscherger, anybody else?) who're currently working on improvements / additions in the automation interface.

At first (also in regard of my previous email about "Project Management") I'd like to know: What is the exact status of all your efforts? As far as I followed IRC and mailing list, particularily

a) automate inventory (dscherger)? Derek, you're probably waiting for workspace-merge for final tweaks? Also, have you decided to change anything else with the current basic_io formatted output which was discussed [0]?

b) automate stdio (tbrownaw)? Timothy, I know you're also pretty busy with the Lua Tester part (and maybe other things as well), but your recent mail "Extending 'automate stdio'" looks promising also solving input issues for not-yet automated commands like "commit" which would need to be able to read a log message from stdin...

Is the proposal by Timothy accepted by the other developers? The thread wasn't too active (in comparison to others), still, to be able to make the automation interface really complete, this is a needed precondition for further expansions.

Also, in general, Marcel van der Bloom, posted in June already an interesting note in the wiki [1] concerning the future development of the normal command line interface and the automation interface (which are always out of sync, also of course for usability reasons).

Some time ago I also wrote in our wiki [2] that a complete automation interface could make the actual cmdline binary mtn a thin client for a mtn-core binary which would basically talk with mtn via automate stdio, and thus would serve as *one* possible "frontend" for monotone (beside graphical frontends which would then directly talk to mtn-core).

Obviously I don't think that this dream comes true (anytime), Ingo and me finally decided to start on our own regarding further extensions on the automation interface, since, yeah, if you don't do it yourself, it won't happen. We have quite a *long* list of needed expansions for the automation interface, since everything which exists as command for mtn but not for mtn automate (and is plain-dead needed for a successful GUI) is practically a blocker for our project guitone [3].

The first extension in this regard is a basic_io formatted "attributes" command. I recently stumbled across "automate attributes" [4] (which was not documented other than mtn automate --help) while I filed a bug for problems with get_manifest_of and get_revision, but closer examination showed me that it did't exactly fit our needs, so we picked that as our first "project" (branch will be nvm.basic_io.attributes), also, because this should be a "slight" entry into the automation programming since the current command only needs to be expanded.

Thanks for reading so far,
Thomas.

[0] http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_log/monotone?date=2006-07-04#l78
[1] http://venge.net/monotone/wiki/AutomateWishlist