Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn uninterruptible

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] mtn uninterruptible
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 00:57:34 -0700

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:46:52AM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's a problem with 'mtn log', 'mtn update' (and possibly other commands):
> They become uninterruptible sometimes. I am not sure what the exact
> circumstances are, but if you e.g. start 'mtn log' and hit ctrl-c directly
> afterwards, mtn keeps on printing 'mtn: interrupted' for every ctrl-c, but
> will never stop. If you send it TERM signals, it says 'mtn: terminated by
> signal', but won't stop either. Only a KILL really terminates the process.

I found that my optimized build did this on every try, while my
unoptimized build almost always just exited immediately (i.e., behaved
correctly).  After trying enough times, I did manage to get it to
freeze, and attached gdb.  Here's the complete stack trace:

#0  0xb7d2d189 in __lll_mutex_lock_wait () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0xb7cb9915 in _L_mutex_lock_2729 () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#2  0xb6800600 in ?? ()
#3  0x00000002 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

So, uh, yeah.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen