Re: [Monotone-devel] "diff -p" default?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] "diff -p" default?
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:25:40 -0700

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 03:38:38AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Now that we have diff -p support on mainline, is there any reason we
> shouldn't make it the default?
[...]
> AFAIK it's still compatible with patch(1) and the various other tools
> out there.

FTR, I just checked patch(1), patchutils (interdiff/filterdiff),
diffstat, the library Bugzilla uses to read patches, trac's patch
display code, and emacs, and they all seem perfectly happy with -p
style patches.  (We also have more traction to complain to the authors
of tools that break with this, since people often generate patches in
exactly this format using GNU diff -- this contrasts with our funny
patch headers, which we had to work on a bit to make compatible in
general.)

So, umm, given that no-one has raised any objections...

"Lull'd in the countless chambers of the brain,
Our thoughts are link'd by many a hidden chain:
Awake but one, and lo! what myriads rise!
Each stamps its image as the other flies"
  -- Ann Ward Radcliffe, The Mysteries of Udolpho