[Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb mutton. Was: monotone dumb progress

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Dumb mutton. Was: monotone dumb progress
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:24:06 -0800

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

> Honestly, I find that idea incredibly stupid.  Why not change the
> name to "emacs" while we're at it?

I didn't recommend changing the name. To me, the name is fine as it
is. I use the shell alias "mt" and I never use the tape-related "mt"
program on my system. If I needed to use the real mt, I'd need a
different solution, perhaps giving it an alias as well.

I wrote mainly to say that "mtn" looks like "mountain", it being a
conventional abbreviation for a common word. "Monotone" is not a
common word and hence has no obvious abbreviation. In trying to choose
one, though, it would be nice to avoid overlap with other common
abbreviations -- like "mtn".

--
Steven E. Harris