[Monotone-devel] monotone's automation interface

From: Glen Ditchfield
Subject: [Monotone-devel] monotone's automation interface
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 20:56:47 -0600

I had a few thoughts after writing my maildir assistant script.

* "monotone automate inventory" is a pretty blunt tool for finding missing,
unknown, and ignored files, since (in Monotone 0.25) it produces a line for
every file in the working copy.  In my case, that's 16,000 lines to sort
through when I'm only interested in tracking down roughly a dozen mail files
that have been moved, renamed, or deleted.  It would help somewhat if the
inventory command took a directory name as an argument, and only printed an
inventory of files in that directory; then I could execute "monotone automate
inventory Mail", but I would still have 8,500 lines to process.

* The script executes one "monotone rename" or "monotone drop" command for
each missing message.  If "monotone automate" is supposed to be the preferred
scripting interface, then there ought to be a way to feed drop and rename
commands to "monotone automate stdio".

* I don't know whether the script is portable to Windows, let alone VMS.

So, I started day-dreaming.  What if monotone extended its Lua interpreter
with a monotone library?  There could be functions like mtn.rename(path), and
iterators like mtn.inventory().  What if the command "monotone mtn-mail"
caused monotone to look for a Lua script named "mtn-mail" and execute it with
the extended interpreter?