[Monotone-devel] Re: log viewing

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: log viewing
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 00:20:57 +0000

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 02:45:11PM +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:
>> I suspect it would be useful to have "monotone automate graph" take a
>> list of revisions (optionally, I guess), and produce a contracted
>> graph induced by those?  Then one could use "monotone automate select
>> b:net.venge.monotone | monotone automate graph address@hidden" or whatever.
>> (I've little idea of how to implement that efficiently.)
>
> Sounds good to me.  I suspect you want some way to say, in the output,
> which edges were contracted and which are real?
>
> I guess you could also just check which ones were real.

It might be nice to be able to give some indication of how much isn't
being shown, for each node.  And/or for each non-real edge, as you
suggest.

> I don't really know how to do graph contraction either.  I know
> Olivier does!

I can sort of understand how to do it, I think.  But that's without
actually trying to implement anything, and it feels like one of those
things that you have to try before you know whether you really
understand it or not.

> (Maybe we should just lobby for the addition of a gitk-style pane to
> monotone-viz :-).)

Maybe.  I must admit I rather like monotone-viz as it is, but I
suppose a pane that basically showed the log (much like gitk does)
might naturally complement its current graph view.