Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions

From: Jon Bright
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Bug in CRLF conversions
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:29:36 +0100

Yury Polyanskiy wrote:

Ah, ok! I see. You mean if Joe created a text-file in Windows and Ann
created the very same text-file (except for damn line endings) in Linux
you want them to be identical in DB even if Joe was dumb enough to not
setup line ending conversion for the file? Is it what you say?

I want it to be identical assuming the hooks are set up right (the default hooks could go a long way toward being "right").

Question to Jon and Richard:
    Current design of get_linesep_conv() interface (with two lineseps)
means I *CAN* define db internal linesep. Do you say that this should be
removed?

Yes.

If I understand you correctly you want get_linesep_conv() to
return for each file only one of two answers: "binary file, don't mess
with conversion", "text-file, MY copy should have ending XXX". And then
monotone always just converts from internal LF-only to XXX. Is it what
you say?

Yes.

If so then maybe you're right. However, current design supercedes that
and allows more flexibility (I can't imagine though why would anyone
object to storing text-files in LF-only internally).

Neither can I. I wouldn't mind the capability, if it didn't bring problems with it:

a) I can screw up the hooks mightily and end up propagating masses of broken stuff to other people's DBs. b) Otherwise-equivalent DBs are potentially no longer equivalent depending on someone's screwed-up hooks c) It's (I imagine) difficult for people to understand. The average user wants to specify his line ending (actually, the user really just wants the default hook to work out the right line ending and just correct it if it messes up). The user is unlikely to want to specify the DB line ending unless he's interested in monotone internals.

--
Jon