Re: [Monotone-devel] some (negative) feedback -- useful reading

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] some (negative) feedback -- useful reading
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:06:34 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:32:38 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> Some people aren't happy:
njs>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded/8657
njs>
njs> Some points:
njs>   -- they want initial pull fixed
njs>   -- apparently netsync incompatibilities are causing real users
njs>      problems.  Unfortunately we probably need to do one more
njs>      data-migration to switch cert formats, and I'd guess at least two
njs>      more netsync breaks (once to make it fast, once to sit down and
njs>      seriously clean it up and come up with a story for compatibility,
njs>      so we can have some confidence we'll be able to support it)
njs>   -- monotone-dumb would be useful.  Since it wouldn't take much more
njs>      than a few days of python hacking to make it basically usable,
njs>      this seems doable if anyone wants to make it happen.  (I'm not
njs>      quite sure this
njs>

I think you lost some lines at the end there.

njs> I don't know what "phil does not have send a key" means.  (Who is
njs> Phil? :-))

>From one of the latter messages, it looks like he's much revered.

njs> I also don't know what "our database got corrupted" means.

Read Koen Kooi's second message (21 Jan 01:19).  It looks like there
was some issue with a revision coming from another -unknown- branch or
so.  And then he took the opportunity to fiddle with the database.
Which part was corruption and what caused what is a bit difficult to
decipher.

njs> Does anyone know what they mean by git having cherrypicking?  I
njs> assume this must be just the equivalent of a nice wrapper around
njs> diff+patch?

I looked around a bit, but couldn't find anything better than this:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-cherry-pick.html

So it looks like your guess is correct.

Cheers,
Richard