[Monotone-devel] Re: coLinux and 0.26pre1: Address family not supported

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: coLinux and 0.26pre1: Address family not supported by protocol
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:00:46 +0100

On Wednesday 18 January 2006 20:22, Henry Nestler wrote:
> Henry Nestler wrote:
> > + monotone-0.26pre1-x86-semistatic --db=colinux-testing.db
> > --rcfile=serv_anonymous.lua serve --bind=monotone.colinux.org:55555 '*'
> > monotone: network error: name resolution failure for monotone.colinux.org
>
> Use monotone any of functions getnetent(), getnetbyname() or
> getnetbyaddr()? see:
> http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl3_getnetent.htm
>
> If yes, this could be a problem: My RH9 box has no file /etc/networks.

No, it doesn't. Try this command:
$ readelf -s ./monotone-0.26pre1-x86-semistatic | grep getnet

But it *does* use getaddrinfo(), which might be broken (resp. not implemented)
on older systems according to some earlier messages.

So, I built a new binary that doesn't use getaddrinfo(), but gethostbyname()
and getservbyname() instead. It has additionally ipv6 disabled, as this seems
to cause problems, too.

Henry, could you please try this binary as a server on your rh9 and/or suse9.0
machines and see, whether there are still name resolution failures?

It can be found at the usual place:
http://www.ipd.uni-karlsruhe.de/~moschny/monotone/

Currently, there's only a 0.26pre1 version, though.

Regards,
Thomas