Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Commit a child of 2 parents
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:28:55 +1100

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 07:59:55PM -0500, Yury Polyanskiy wrote:
> Thanks all for replies!
>
> I was 99% sure that the solution would be to commit my merged tree as a
> child to revA and then call some fancy "monotone db execute 'insert...'"
> to draw an additional edge in revision graph from revB to a newly
> created revC.
>
> Does anyone has a short explanation why such ``drawing'' is impossible?
> What does it ruin?

The signatures on the revision.  The hash id of a revision is based on:
  - the contents of the tree
  - the ancestry of the revision

Change the ancestry, and the revision is no longer the same one.  Have
two people make the same change to a revision, and the resulting
revisions are the same revision. This really is a feature :)

--
Dan.