Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 05:36:56 -0800

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:16:40PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Heh, on the other hand, the same thing usually happens to the
> translators as well, and I guess the worst is when you end up with a
> bunch of fuzzy entries.  Other than that, I don't really see the harm,
> but being new at this, it would probably be good to hear from those
> that have done this for a little longer...

I _think_ the point is that they want to merge in new translations at
a time that they choose, rather than having it just happen (possibly
creating a bunch of spurious conflicts on their end)?

> njs> How POTFILES.in is supposed to work also confuses me.  intltool-update
> njs> --maintain says it can't find any missing files, so I've sort of been
> njs> hoping that things will just work out somehow.  Or at least figuring
> njs> that if there really is a problem, it can wait until a translator
> njs> finds strings missing.
>
> OK, I guess my next thing will be to look at the source, because I
> just can't understand what selection criteria it uses.  For example,
> there are a number of F() used in safe_map.hh, but that one isn't
> anywhere in POTFILES*...

I looked at the source.  It's hardcoded to check for _().

I'm getting the feeling this all isn't the most elegant or polished
toolset :-(.

"But in Middle-earth, the distinct accusative case disappeared from
the speech of the Noldor (such things happen when you are busy
fighting Orcs, Balrogs, and Dragons)."