Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Is l10n a little off?
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:16:40 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:07:41 -0800, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 10:20:52AM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
wrote:
njs> I just know that every once in a while ('make dist', mostly) make
njs> decides to regenerate the .po files -- and then I have to revert
njs> them, because the translators get annoyed at me if I touch those
njs> files :-).

Heh, on the other hand, the same thing usually happens to the
translators as well, and I guess the worst is when you end up with a
bunch of fuzzy entries.  Other than that, I don't really see the harm,
but being new at this, it would probably be good to hear from those
that have done this for a little longer...

(whiners, all of us we are :-))

njs> How POTFILES.in is supposed to work also confuses me.  intltool-update
njs> --maintain says it can't find any missing files, so I've sort of been
njs> hoping that things will just work out somehow.  Or at least figuring
njs> that if there really is a problem, it can wait until a translator
njs> finds strings missing.

OK, I guess my next thing will be to look at the source, because I
just can't understand what selection criteria it uses.  For example,
there are a number of F() used in safe_map.hh, but that one isn't
anywhere in POTFILES*...

njs> If you want to add a configure option or whatever (environment
njs> variable, maybe?) to change the locale dir for testing, go for it
njs> :-).

Nah, I see no reason to.  If it depends on --prefix, that's fine with
me.

njs> > That's not a problem, that part works like a charm:
njs> >
njs> >   : ; ls -l po/monotone.pot
njs> >   -rw-r--r-- 1 levitte levitte 4016 2006-01-11 20:04 po/monotone.pot
njs> >
njs> > And a 'monotone-0.26pre1 pull' gives my numbers with a space inserted
njs> > every third digit in the integer half and a comma as a fraction
njs> > delimiter instead of a period.
njs>
njs> Hmm, neither of these is really evidence, I think?

That's plenty of evidence that swedish dates and numbering is used, so
at least LC_NUMERIC and LC_TIME works the way it should.  Plus I have
a /usr/share/locale/sv/ catalog filled with files (especially in
LC_MESSAGES)...

njs> The question is whether your system has the sv locale enabled or
njs> not.  (Which is a separate question from whether your system has
njs> any other locale enabled, and also a separate question from
njs> whether you have requested the use of the sv locale as a user.)

Yes it does (I've a few variants of sv_SE in my /etc/locale.gen), and
I have locale enabled, and I do use it....  oh wait, I just looked in
my .bashrc, and look what I found:

  export LANG=sv_SE
  export LC_MESSAGES=C

AUGH!  So no matter what LC_ALL I set in my command line, I'll still
get the C locale for messages!  AUGH!  And I've been staring at the
output from 'locale' and apparently skipped over LC_MESSAGES all the
time (all the other lines give me sv_SE)!  AUGH!  The frustration!

Checking: LC_MESSAGES=sv_SE monotone-0.26pre1 --help
Yes, output in Swedish!

OK, I guess that's the final straw.  This issue just isn't (well,
except for the POTFILES.in thingie)...

OK, time to laugh this off...

njs> The way to test is do something like:
njs>   $ LANG=sv ls -z
njs> and see if both lines of output are localized to swedish.

  : ; ls -z
  ls: invalid option -- z
  Try `ls --help' for more information.

njs> > I'll make an extra check to see if POTFILES.in should be updated.
njs>
njs> Cool.

Still to be done.

Cheers,