Re: [Monotone-devel] Promoting usher to become a standard utility

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Promoting usher to become a standard utility
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:08:07 -0500

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 00:00 +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've seen enough good things happening with usher that I'd like to
> promote it to become a standard utility.
>
> All that would require would be that it got moved out of the contrib
> directory, that a test was created for it and that Makefile.am had
> the following change:
[...]
> Opinions?  Timothy?

Hmm... I like this idea. ;)

...but then, it's hard to test properly since that would require doing
things like reloading the config file and rearranging the servers while
there's a number of open connections (in particular, when I first put in
config file reloading any connections after the reload would go to a new
server object, and so a new server process, even if the old server
(likely with the same db) was still running (from still having open
connections), even on servers that hadn't been changed), which I think
the current test framework is entirely too linear to handle easily.

Tim