Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:42:30 -0700

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:59:03AM +0200, Jon Bright wrote:
> Using SSH is just as easy as using Telnet, though, and avoids me having
> to think too much about what I'm transferring, whether there are
> eavesdroppers, etc.  The same can be said of encryption in monotone.  If
> (for me as a user) it's nice and simple to use encryption and basically
> has no noticeable penalty, then I gain the same warm, fuzzy feelings I
> gain from using SSH --- even if I don't actually really need the encryption.

Okay, right, sure -- since we _can_ make things private, and users
sort of expect things they say over the internet to be private, we
definitely should, whenever possible.

I was just saying that I wasn't following why the original poster
thought that it was critical, rather than just a might-as-well,
occasionally people need it, sort of thing.

"On arrival in my ward I was immediately served with lunch. `This is
what you ordered yesterday.' I pointed out that I had just arrived,
only to be told: `This is what your bed ordered.'"
  -- Letter to the Editor, The Times, September 2000