Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: key trust

From: Conrad Steenberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: key trust
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:15:39 -0700

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 23:10 +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> > No, I was thinking of making good use of things like policy attributes
> > at assign roles or rights to a certificate holder.  But sure, if you
> > want, there's always the possibility of coupling the whole thing with
> > a replicated LDAP repository and do the math with it :-).
>
> But if your certificate has all those decorations then it's probably
> not so usable for other purposes, so I'd guess that would diminish the
> "single signon" type argument for using X.509?

I strongly agree with this sentiment: use the certs for identification
only, to authorization.

Adding these non-standard attributes to X509 certs is far worse than
inventing your own certificate system: you get all the bloat of an
exiting specification, without any of the benefits of that
specification: interoperability, and the use of standard tools and
libraries.