[Monotone-devel] Re: key trust

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: key trust
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:18:21 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Yes, self-signed certificates would provide exactly the same
> capabilities as today's key system does.  This is what OpenCM did
> (does?), and I questioned that kind of use with that group, and I
> will here as well.  Basically, it provides nothing more than bloat
> around the keys.  If you're going to use X.509, do it for real.

I think OpenCM can probably be considered as dead.  Like Stellation.
Shame, because both seemed to me to have interesting approaches to
things.

By doing X.509 "for real", are you thinking of the full flexibility
described in the recently published RFC 4158?

I'm not saying that would be impossible---I believe the freely
available CML software (part of SMP) will do all that, with knobs on.
Maybe that's a good argument against doing it: stop complaining
monotone doesn't use X.509, or we'll *really* do X.509, and then
you'll be sorry.

[...]