Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: usher

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: usher
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:12:21 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:27:30 +0200, Zbynek Winkler
<address@hidden> said:

zwin> Oh! That is a big step towards using monotone on a multiuser
zwin> machine.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way.  For me, it's more of a security
concern, where I want different collections of branches to be writable
by different sets of people.

zwin> Why isn't such a great thing more promoted? I've found it
zwin> mentioned only deep down the changelog, no wonder I've missed it
zwin> :(

It's very new, and basically contributed code that's not *really* part
of monotone itself, I guess.

zwin> Is the some documentation about how to use it?

Yes, in the source.  See the file contrib/usher.cc.

This makes me think that if we want usher to be a supported utility,
maybe it should be moved into some kind of utility directory and built
along with monotone itself, as well as documented.  It's not that hard
to maintain that file...

I'll see if I can document it in the next few days, as I start playing
with it...

zwin> PS. Why is it called usher?

Because it ushers requests on to the appropriate server?  I dunno...

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/