Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:51:10 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:32:54 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 06:45:12PM +0200, Michael Neumann wrote:
njs> > How hard would it be to implement transport enryption for Monotone?
njs>
njs> I don't have any particular plans to implement it myself, and
njs> writing my own crypto protocol makes me Very Very Nervous.  And
njs> SSL and SSH libraries seem to be uniformly horrid.

I dunno any SSH library (yeah, I know there's a sshlib or libssh out
there, I just haven't looked at it), so I can't speak about them.  If
you're talking about OpenSSL, I agree that the API could be quite a
bit better.

njs> As far as I can tell, for instance, it is simply not possible to
njs> write async SSL code using freely available docs.

Untrue, at least with OpenSSL.  Simply set the underlying file
descriptors to noon-blocking and you're set.

njs> (Plus we have slightly funky requirements, like having our own
njs> keys that we want to use.)

Yeah, that's a different question...

njs> On the other hand, it's been pointed out that we actually do all
njs> the hard parts (secure authentication and integrity checking) of
njs> secure channel encryption, and we could just throw something like
njs> AES+CTR on top and go with it.

I'd throw in a bit of handshaking so client and server can agree on an
algorithm.

njs> (This would still leave out some parts whose importance is not
njs> obvious to me, like periodic re-keying.)

Considering the length of the sessions held by monotone, I'd say
re-keying is an utter waste of time.  It *is* valuable for longer time
communication, like stelnet, for example.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/