[Monotone-devel] Re: A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: A Two-Fold Proposal: On Formats And Front-Ends
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 20:00:11 +0100

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> P.S.  Honestly, I'm not too keen on the shared library approach.  It
>       comes with it's own set of problems that are sometimes very hard
>       to resolve.

I'm not sure it matters very much to ultimate users of the thing.  I'd
have thought a nice uniform interface using JSON and pipes (or
something morally equivalent) would be easy to wrap in Python, etc.
(Pipes can be made to work properly even on Windows nowadays, can't
they?)  In which case to users of the Perl/Python/Lua interface it
won't really be visible whether it's a library underneath or some
pipe-based protocol.  I imagine, anyway.

So filling out "monotone automate" seems like a satisfactory solution
(to me, anyway).

It also feels like it's much more likely to happen than a library API.