Re: [Monotone-devel] Unnecessary performance hit on push?

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Unnecessary performance hit on push?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:34:20 +0200

* Nathaniel Smith:

> Oh, sure, it's obviously waiting on IO.  The question is what IO are
> we doing that takes so long, and how can we not do that :-).

It's probably the effect of internal database fragmentation, coupled
with file system fragementation:

monotone.db: 8686 extents found, perfection would be 1 extent

Running VACUUM seems to help quite a bit, defragmenting the file at
the file system level doesn't make such a big difference.

(But this is for reading the certs before pull.  I didn't notice soon
enough that this thread is about push performance.)