Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs

From: Andy Jones
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Proposal for human readable revision IDs
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 16:02:16 +0100

There seem to be two seperate issues here:

1) Making revision IDs more human-readable, or replacing them with
something more human-readable.

2) Giving revision IDs an intuitive sequence, or replacing them with
something that...

It seems to me we started out with (1) and have moved on to (2).

Given that we +can't+ have a global sequence, I'm more interested in
(1) than (2)  [to express a personal preference].

I thought that the original idea to map the revision ID onto some
alphabetic space had some merit, myself.  Even just splitting the ID
up into four-number blocks would make it much more readable, and
(presumably) would be a trivial change.