Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?

From: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Keyword substitution?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 17:29:39 +0200 (CEST)

In message <address@hidden> on Wed, 3 Aug 2005 13:00:35 -0700, Nathaniel Smith
<address@hidden> said:

njs> This seems like it might not be quite optimal, and people have
njs> complained, but then I don't know of any VCS that given a branch
njs> A -> B -> C let's you grant permission on A and C but not B... in
njs> any case, we don't know how to do better, so the desirability of
njs> doing better is a little moot :-).

It's true.  CVS divides things in modules, and authenticating those
separately is fairly easy and has been done (there's a ton of scripts
that do that).  This could possibly be the thing that I think monotone
lacks on the server side, the possibility to have completely separate
entities.  On the other hand, given the distributed nature and that
every server owner can decide his or her own policies, It's quite hard
to enforce anything except for oneself.

This brings me some thoughts about authentication.  I've discussed
assigning write access to different key owners at branch level, and
there are many reasons why that doesn't work, and I understand those
reasons.  However, try this for an idea: how about authenticating
reception of branch certs based on who signed it?  It's a bit of a
twist of mind, but not so horribly, really, since we already have
that, except it's currently only connected to the branches given to
the pull and serve commands.  My goal is simply to not have my other
branches cluttered by someone's mistake.

Cheers,
Richard

-----

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/