[Monotone-devel] resurecting a file

From: Rob Nichols
Subject: [Monotone-devel] resurecting a file
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 21:57:06 -0500

I'm looking for advice, both on this specific problem, as well as my approach
to my situation...

It's my understanding that a file can not be resurrected.  Once it has been
dropped, even if I disapprove the revision that removed the file, the "old"
and "new" file are not treated as the same file - for example during a
propagate.  Is that correct?  Is there any hope for reconnecting these files?

I have two branches, B and B.v10.  All development happens on B.  As we near a
release ("v10"), I want to release code to various other groups.  I'd like to
keep a record of what I release (via a tag), and I'd also like to "sanitize"
the code.  Sanitize here means removing a few "FIXME" comments in the code,
and some testing related files.

I started the B.v10 branch by sanitizing my working copy, and committing to
the B.v10 branch.  Periodically, I propagate changes B to B.v10.  Of course,
with changes I some times have to make changes to B.v10 to clean up the merge.
This has worked okay through a couple of test releases.  The problem came when
I needed to undrop a file accidentally dropped in B.v10.

Suggestions as to better ways to handle this situation?

Thanks,
Rob