Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync without network

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Sync without network
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:05:30 +1200

At 2005-06-28T11:20:05-0400, Heeten Choxi wrote:
> Is it possible to sync multiple databases without using netsync?

Not at the moment.

> For example, we have a couple different groups that are working on
> separate, isolated networks.  We would love to have some kind of
> distributed version control system that let these groups sync with a
> database located on a USB key or something like that, since they can
> not have a network connection linking them.

This could be achived by having each person/isolated network use netsync
to serve the database stored on the USB key, then syncing their local
database(s) against it.

> Also, we'd like to have a central repository on our main network.  The
> problem is running a network server on our network is an issue.  Every
> one has access to shared NFS drives however, so it'd be nice if we
> could sync with the isolated networks using a usb key, and then have
> anyone working on the main network be able to access the database on a
> NFS drive.

> Is this possible with monotone?

Each monotone database is used as a single-user database, so storing a
single shared database on an NFS server is not going to work.  It may
work if the NFS-shared database was _only_ used to sync against each
developer's local database, but even then you would need a way to
coordinate access to that shared database, and it's questionable whether
SQLite's locking will work with any given NFS server[0].

[0] http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q7

Cheers,
-mjg
--