Re: [Monotone-devel] user-defined external mergers...

From: Vladimir Vukicevic
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] user-defined external mergers...
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:42:04 -0700

On 6/16/05, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while experimenting with rebuilding a repository with a different
> branch name, I thought that there could be some way to specify a
> arbitrary merging commands (one for 2-way and one for 3-way merge) to
> be used by monotone.
>
> I haven't done any thorough tests yet, but have produced some code
> that should be usable as a start (I'm gonna test it soon).
>
> The current idea is that the user can specify commands in the
> environment variables MONOTONE_MERGE2 and MONOTONE_MERGE3.  They can
> contain the following printf-like items:
>
>         %L      is replaced with left_path
>         %A      is replaced with and_path (only for MONOTONE_MERGE3)
>         %R      is replaced with right_path
>         %M      is replaced with merged_path
>         %l      is replaced with lfile
>         %a      is replaced with afile (only for MONOTONE_MERGE3)
>         %r      is replaced with rfile
>         %o      is replaced with outfile
>
> I have tested that the replacement of those elements work as expected,
> and that the string is properly split into an argv table.  I have not
> checked that execution works as expected.
>
> Comments?

Hmm, why do things via an environment variable when it's already
possible to set up arbitrary hooks using ~/.monotone/monotonerc or
MT/monotonerc?  I think exposing these bits as environment variables
by default really makes it such that you have to expose a lot of other
config via environment variables as well..

    - Vlad