Re: [Monotone-devel] Large-scale usage

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Large-scale usage
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:10:38 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 12:43:52PM +0200, Peter Simons wrote:
I've been following this discussion with some interest.
Zbynek remarked:

> I just get the felling that the
> "one-huge-file-with-every-revision-of-every-project" does
> not scale very well.
Well, why do you think that, I guess?

I don't know ;-). It's just a hunch.

(And how huge are you talking about?)

At least a hundred registered developers + possible anonymous downloads. I don't know about others but my cvs repo is close to 100MB (and I also have a smaller subversion repo) so the worst possible scenario would be converting 100*100MB of CVS repositories and that would give at least 10GB database file. That just does not seem right for one file... I'd much rather have a hundred smaller files.

I doubt we have directly applicable numbers on hand.
Ok. What is the max database size and number of concurrent users that is known to perform "well enough"?

And went on to ask:

> how does monotone handle multiple connections to the
> netsync server? Can multiple users sync at the same time
> or could one busy project stall all the others?
Yes, multiple users can sync at the same time -- the server does
asynchronous IO and and multiplexes between them.  At least, that's
the theory.
Ok, good.

Thanks.

Zbynek

--
http://zw.matfyz.cz/     http://robotika.cz/
Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic