Re: [Monotone-devel] private key needed for sync?

From: Matthew A. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] private key needed for sync?
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 12:38:11 -0500

Zbynek Winkler wrote:
Hello,

I was following the tutorial, created a database, importing some files, commiting work etc.

Now I want to setup an allways-on-server to exchange my work with others. I went to section "2.7 Network Service". I figured that I need to create an empty database and import pubkeys of all people I'd like to give access to. I've imported only mine pubkey so far. I've created the .monotone/monotonerc file with the three hooks as suggested. Then I tried to run the "serve" command but got the following error:

address@hidden:~/.monotone$ monotone --db=./marocode.db serve matforge.ms.mff.cuni.cz marocode
monotone: misuse: could not guess default signing key

The --debug command says:

monotone: executing serve command
monotone: db.fetch("SELECT id from 'private_keys'")
monotone: commands.cc:1998: usage constraint 'N(guess_default_key(key, app))' violated
monotone: misuse: could not guess default signing key

Why do I need a private key in the database? I do not intend to commit any work to this database. Is it used for anything else?

Not sure why you need that... but you do. :)

PS. I'd like to add monotone to our gforge setup but it seems it is not as straight forward :(. I'd like to have one database per project so that each project can easily manipulate it. It seems that in order to do that I'd have to start multiple instances of monotone serve using different ports. Is that true? I'd also have to use the --norc and --rcfile options to configure it, right? That seems kind of awkward :(

You may want to search the mailing list archives for the debian init.d rc script as a point of reference. If I was hosting a gforge type monotone server, I would create a hooks.lua file that specfied permissions for each collection/branch and identity and just store everything in the same database. That way you don't have to use different ports and stuff, but each user still only sees his/her branches.

You would of course have to write some kind of script to update the lua hooks and I am not sure if you have to restart monotone for them to take effect or not. That could become an issue if you have to.

--
Matthew A. Nicholson
Digium