Re: [Monotone-devel] Why?

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Why?
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:17:47 -0600

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> I've a couple of gripes that I need to share:
>
> 1. 'monotone update' still takes an optional argument.  Is there any
>    reason why it doesn't use --revision like all the others?  If noone
>    minds a change to using --revision, I've a change ready to be
>    commited.

No reason, other than --revision wasn't around at the time that was
added probably. There are probably a few other commands that should be
using options rather than arguments as well. At a glance:

- genkey/dropkey/chkeypass/pubkey/privkey should probably use --key
  and we've got to be able to improve on the name of chkeypass ;)

- cert/trusted/tag/testresult/approve/disapprove should use --revision

- comment should probably use both --revision and --message

- fcommit should use --revision (or be removed entirely)

- not sure what to do with cat but it appears to need help

- cdiff could be replaced with an option to diff (--context and
  --unified perhaps)

> 2. Why on earth does everyone insist on putting all those random
>    [--revision=REVISION] and other options in the arguments help for
>    the command when those options are already explained above the
>    command help?  The commands currently having that kind of extra

Guilty as charged :)

With command specific options and associated help I agree that these are
redundant.

Cheers,
Derek