Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings and binary files revisited...

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] line endings and binary files revisited...
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:19:36 -0700

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 01:56:35AM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> I have the feeling that however good, there's always a possibility
> that a non-text files be interpreted as text files.  As long as you're
> playing entirely in Unix, it's not a problem, since the line ending is
> a \n, so there will be no conversion.  On Windows or on Mac, where the
> line endine is \r\n and \r respectively, the matter is different.
>
> I'm thinking that files should be stored entirely unchanged in the
> database, and *possibly* be interpreted on output.  It has the benefit
> of not being destructive, which I think would be a good thing...

The current policy is:
  -- by default, don't touch line endings at all.  In fact, don't
     touch data at all, we store uninterpreted bytestreams.
  -- if the user requests, they can have line endings converted one
     way going out of their working copy, and back again when going
     into their working copy.  I don't know if there's a way to make
     this apply only to specific files, though.

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen