Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename

From: Henrik Holmboe
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] [patch]move attributes on rename
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:31:59 +0200

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:
[...]
>It's true this a little confusing, though.  Easiest solution: add a
>"--do-it" command-specific-option to drop/rename, which tells them to
>actually delete or rename the file in question.  Alternate solution:
>make the default to do it, and add a "--not-really"
>command-specific-option. For this to be acceptable, though, I think on
>"drop" we'd have to cache the deleted file somewhere, for disaster
>recovery.

I would suggest that Monotone shouldnt contain a built-in "Traschcan",
for the very same reason rm doesnt.

'drop' should IMHO remove the file and 'move' should move the file and
if the user wishes not to then it should be configurable in monotonerc
that you want to be questioned first (much like the equivalent alias
rm="rm -i" does for the shell).

Sometimes its smarter to let aliases or wrapper-scripts do what the
user intends and let Monotone just stay a version tracking-thingy. :)

.h

--
Henrik Holmboe, Stockholm, Sweden
<http://henrik.holmboe.se/contact/>