[Monotone-devel] Attributes and wierd files

From: Adrian May
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Attributes and wierd files
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:21:15 +0100

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a hairy chested VCS at the moment. I fought with Subversion for a while but although good in every other respect, it blew out when confronted with wierd files and even access modes. The docs for monotone are also worrying me in the same regard.

To my mind, whether a file is readable/executable/etc or whether it happens to be a link, device, pipe or whatever is just as much part of it's nature as it's contents. I'm trying to keep an entire mini-distro in a VCS and let the box download system updates as patches, whether they affect its perl scripts, kernal modules, devices, ssl keys or anything else. I need the permissions and ownerships to work reliably and natively, rather than with some afterthought solution.

How close to this ideal can I get with monotone? I dont want the reliability to depend on me and my colleagues always remembering to press the right button at the right time.

Ad.

--

Adrian May

Blue Cell Networks GmbH
Industriestraße 1B
96163 Gundelsheim
Germany

Office: +49 951-700428-93
Fax: +49 951-700428-87
Mobile: +49 170-2816743
Web: http://www.beamzone.net
Mail: address@hidden

Blue Cell Networks - providing professional mobile services

The information contained in this document is confidential to the sender, and is intended only for use of the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure, and/or copying is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us.