[Monotone-devel] Re: Commit without working copy

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Commit without working copy
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 14:56:52 +0000

Grzegorz Jakacki <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> What about POST part? I have a content, filename (but not file) and
> SHA1. How do I feed these into a repo?

You can't, at present.  It's asymmetric: it makes perfect sense to get
a file, once you've specified it sufficiently, but it doesn't make
sense to store the contents of a file without specifying enough
context.  Storing would make sense for a database, but not for the
kind of version control system that monotone is.

If you serialised write access, I suspect you could make something
that made sense: so storing a file given a branch, filename, and file
contents, would add a revision on the head of that branch.  But you'd
need to make sure that you could never get more than one head to the
branch.

Or, instead of providing a branch, you could provide the hash of the
revision (the one that the original copy of the file came from).  Then
you'd want some way to invoke merge and deal with possible conflicts,
and that might be challenging in a wiki.

If you could resolve the conflict problem, then the rest seems to me
to make sense: when you get the file contents, you remember the
revision from which it came, and you provide that when you store the
modified version.