Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks

From: Oren Ben-Kiki
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Few remarks
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:13:04 +0200

On Friday 03 December 2004 13:08, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Here, I'll throw in some extremely disjointed notes I made to myself
> a while back trying to explore this space a little bit...

Path-walking syntax does sound like a good basis for the solution. A
pity e-mail addresses allow so many strange characters, though. It
makes it so much harder to come up with nice notations.

How about [-n.m] for selecting the m-th alternative after going n steps
back? Chain [] whenever there's a merge, so if there was a merge 2
steps back you'd have to write [-2.1][-1]. The same principle should
work when going forward: [+2.1][+1] for the 1st alternative in a fork
that happens two revisions later.

Have fun,

 Oren Ben-Kiki