Re: [Monotone-devel] Branches disappearing?

From: Matt Johnston
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Branches disappearing?
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:47:32 +0800

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:03:15PM +0100, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> When using monotone 0.14, I created a couple of private branches in
> the same database I also used as my local repository for monotone.
> Those branches were entirely separated from the monotone stuff,
> basically being collections of their own.
>
> I just noticed that those branches do not exist at all in the
> changesetified database (which is a separate copy).  Has anyone else
> seen something like this?  It worries me a bit that things would get
> so thoroughly lost.
>
> The biggest trouble is that I've had the time to commit new stuff to
> the new database, and I would therefore feel very unsafe having to
> redo the whole migrate+changesetify operation from scratch.
>
> Any ideas?

It might be hitting the bug where branch heads seem to stop
being heads if they have a descendant in a different branch.
If the only 'head' of branch1 has a descendant in
branch2, branch1 will appear to have no heads, and be empty.

The server at joel.rosdahl.net has Nathaniel's fix for the
issue, or there's the snapshot at
http://www.fresco.org/~njs/monotone-snapshot.tar.gz
which also has some other fixes.